COVID-19 Professional Forum and Compendium
Participate in an exchange of the latest information about COVID-19 with key thought leaders.
The American Heart Association is working to ensure optimal care for patients with cardiovascular disease who contract coronavirus (COVID-19). Patients with underlying cardiovascular diseases appear to have an increased risk for adverse outcomes with COVID-19.
Here are some helpful resources for health systems, clinics, care providers, patients and the public
AHA COVID-19 Professional Forum - Get Started Guide
This short video explains how to share ideas, challenges, and network with peers on the new AHA COVID-19 Professional Forum. It's a quick-start guide to start you talking with colleagues today!
Science News & AHA Journals
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- Protecting Medical Trainees on the COVID-19 Frontlines
- COVID-19 Guidance for Women's Health (PDF)
- AHA Journal COVID-19 content
- Circulation Video Series: COVID Updates From the Front Lines
- Role of the AHA during COVID-19
- HFSA/ACC/AHA statement addresses concerns re: using RAAS antagonists in COVID-19
- From CEO Nancy Brown: Compassion amid crisis: AHA presidents awed by COVID-19 response
- News release: Patients with COVID-19 taking ACE-I and ARBS should continue treatment
- News release: AHA, other health care groups issue urgent call for action on medical equipment shortages
- Series Playlist: AHA COVID-19 Clinical Guidance including:
- Clinical Perspectives From China (CSC) | Transcript: Clinical Perspectives from China (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers | Transcript: Interim Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- Women and Heart Disease | Transcript: Women and Heart Disease (PDF)
- High Risk Pregnancy | Transcript: High Risk Pregnancy (PDF)
- Drug Interactions on the QT Interval | Transcript: Drug Interactions on the QT Interval (PDF)
- New this week! Heart Failure | Transcript: Heart Failure (PDF)
- COVID-19 Emergency Response – Lessons from China
- New this week! Know Diabetes By Heart: COVID-19 implications in management of patients with T2D and CVD
- CPR training through the COVID-19 pandemic | Transcript: CPR Training through the pandemic (PDF)
- Insights from King County/Seattle EMS Coronavirus Response | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part I (PDF)
- Update from King County/Seattle EMS on Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | Transcript: King Co. Insights Part II (PDF)
Join experts from the AHA and CDC for a webinar for healthcare professionals.
Webinar: COVID-19 Update for Healthcare Professionals Date: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 Time: 12:00 p.m. ET
- Representing AHA: Mariell Jessup, MD, FAHA and Eduardo Sanchez, MD, MPH, FAAFP
- Representing CDC: Larry Sperling, MD, FACC, FACP, FAHA, FASPC and John Brooks, MD
AHA Center for Health Metrics and Evaluation
- COVID-19 cases and deaths by US state and region (Today’s Update) (Previous Updates)
- County-level characteristics on increased risk for severe COVID-19 complications
- Commentary: New data suggest disparities in COVID-19 hospitalization by race, ethnicity
- Commentary: New resource to identify communities at high risk for severe COVID-19 illness and increased healthcare utilization
- Commentary: The US public health system’s playbook for COVID-19
- Temporary Emergency Guidance to U.S. Stroke Centers During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Podcast: Temporary Emergency Guidance to Stroke Centers | Transcript: Temporary Guidance for Stroke Centers (PDF)
- See our Get Started Guide (PDF) for help.
- Video: Get Started Guide
Answers to questions about COVID-19 and heart valve disease
New this week! Suzanne Arnold, MD, FAHA, answers questions about COVID-19 for those living with heart valve disease and facing treatment for aortic stenosis.
COVID | Updates from the Front Lines | Salt Lake City, UT
CIRCULATION COVID team member Anurag Mehta, MD, interviews James C. Fang, MD, Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine for the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, about his experience preparing a rural hospital system for the COVID-19 surge.
CPR & Resuscitation
- Video: The Implications of COVID-19 on Patient Care and Provider Safety
- eLearning Course: Interim Guidance on Resuscitation of COVID-19 Patients
- Interim guidance for basic and advanced life support with COVID-19
- COVID-19 CPR & Resuscitation Resources
- Training Resource: Oxygenation and Ventilation of COVID-19 Patients
- Updated Interim Guidance on Card Extensions during COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF)
- Interim Guidance for Healthcare Providers Caring for Pediatric Patients (PDF)
- Interim FAQs for Communities: COVID-19 and Pediatric CPR (PDF)
- COVID-19 and CPR training FAQs for communities (PDF)
AHA Research Community
- AHA COVID-19 CVD Registry
- See all clinical trials related to COVID-19 on Clinicaltrials.gov
- NIAID strategic plan: COVID-19 research priorities
- FAQs: COVID-19 Impact on AHA Research (PDF)
- COVID-19 public dataset: Google’s open repository for research
- AHA Rapid Response Grant: COVID-19 and its Cardiovascular Impact
- Notice to AHA Research Community Regarding COVID-19
COVID-19 Models and Forecasts
- IHME — Institute for Health Metrics. Forecasts no. of hospitalizations and deaths in the US and by state. Methods: non-linear mixed effects curve-fitting.
- CHIME — University of Pennsylvania's Hospital Impact Model for Pandemics. Method: SIR
- LANL — Los Alamos National Laboratory. Model displays confirmed and forecasted case data. Methods: statistical dynamical growth model accounting for population susceptibility.
- MOBS — Northeastern University's Model of Biological + Socio-technical Systems. Methods: metapopulation, age-structured SLIR model.
- UT Austin — From the University of Texas at Austin. Method: statistical mixed-effect model.
More for Providers
- University of Washington IHME model accurately forecast COVID-19 in Ohio
- FDA cautions against use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine outside of hospital setting or clinical trial
- COVID-19 and African Americans (April 15, JAMA)
- Expert U.S. panel develops NIH treatment guidelines for COVID-19 – a living document
- For patients with cancer: COVID-19 and Cancer Consortium
- AHA News: Pandemic puts health care workers' mental health on the line
- Guidance for Cardiac Electrophysiology During COVID-19
- AHA Quality Improvement Program Response to COVID-19
- FDA Issues New Policy for Gowns, Other Apparel, and Gloves During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency
- FDA guidance on conducting clinical trials during COVID-19
- FDA guidance on medical glove conservation strategies
- Ventilators: FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization
- FDA COVID-19 resources
- World Health Organization COVID-19
Beneficial Business Exchange
This new AHA platform is for broad-scaled exchanges between businesses and organizations, not individuals — the focus is on organizational/community needs and helping donors meet those. Help spread the word!
For Patients & the Public
- New this week! Video: Answers to questions about COVID-19 and heart valve disease
- From the Wellness Network: Coronavirus resource center
- From ACHA: COVID-19: What it means for adults with congenital heart disease
- AHA's Support Network for Emotional Well Being
- AHA comprehensive COVID-19 resources
- AHA News: Health emergency? Don't hesitate to get help
- AHA News: What heart patients should know about coronavirus
- Precautions for patients, others facing higher risks
- Answers to common COVID-19 questions
- CDC COVID-19 resources